Videoconferencing (VC) is the conduct of a videoconference by a set of telecommunication technologies which allow two or more locations to communicate by simultaneous two-way video and audio transmissions. It has also been called ‘visual collaboration’ and is a type of groupware.
The components required for a videoconferencing system include:
- Video input : video camera or webcam
- Video output :computer monitor, television or projector
- Audio input :microphones, CD/DVD player, cassette player, or any other source of PreAmp audio outlet.
- Audio output : usuallyloudspeakers associated with the display device or telephone
- Data transfer : analog or digital telephone network,LAN or Internet
- Computer : a data processing unit that ties together the other components, does the compressing and decompressing, and initiates and maintains the data linkage via the network.